Week 2 Begins: Update from Dr. Bruce Lehnert

Today we got our first look at the x-rays and surgical incisions from the first week of work. The x-rays look great and there were no infections. That makes a surgeon happy!

The hospital keeps on adding new patients for us to screen on a daily basis. If this keeps up we will operate on more people in less time than ever before.

What brings me to tears is that some patients cannot be helped with surgery.
I saw a young boy who had encephalitis when he was four years old. He could not walk more than three or four steps with falling. As a father of two boys, this hit me harder than during any other of my medical missions.

I am a sad on a number of different levels because my wife, Jenni Lehnert, RN, had to go home. She is an outstanding nurse and really worked hard to make sure that all the supplies were in the room, the patients were prepped and that their medications were in order. Let’s give a shout out to Jenni.

All-in-all this has been the best medical mission out of my six to date. I speak for the team when I state we want to come back again in a year or two.

To all those who read this note--donate, donate, donate.

Comments