Preparing for Can Tho: Sahra Sellers

I am currently in my final year of residency training at the Palo Alto Veterans Hospital. Over the past two and a half years I have been fortunate to receive training from both Dr. Lehnert and Dr. Spanko.

I vividly remember my first year out of medical school, when two of the senior residents in our program left for the 2010 mission trip. I remember in part because I had to cover their patients while they were gone, but mainly because I was hoping to be chosen to go on IEP's next trip after hearing about their experiences in Can Tho. Being involved in medical missions is always something that I have wanted to do.

I feel very honored to be able to participate with International Extremity Project as a resident. Not only will I be able to help directly with patient screening, surgical treatment, and post-operative care, but I will be learning valuable lessons that I can carry with me on all my medical missions in the future.

Although I have not been to Vietnam, I visited my brother in Jakarta, Indonesia, last March. My first experience in Asia was quite eye-opening because the culture and environment are so different from my daily life. I am really looking forward to all the Vietnamese culture has to offer, especially the food! ~Sahra Sellers

Comments