Countdown to Vietnam: Amy Dhillon

The IEP team is getting ready for our next mission to Vietnam in December. Over the next few weeks, we'll thoughts from members of the team as they prepare. Today's post is from Amy Dhillon, a third-year podiatry resident. This will be her first mission with the team.

I will be joining IEP this year for my first medical mission overseas. I am truly honored and humbled to have the opportunity to experience this journey with a medical team full of accomplished and experienced surgeons, physicians, nurses, therapists, and technicians.

I am eager and motivated to face the challenging rare congenital deformities more frequently encountered in Vietnam such as clubfoot, polio, and cerebral palsy related lower-extremity deformities. I look forward to being a part of patient care, surgical evaluation, performing complex and life-changing reconstructive surgeries, and following these patients for a short post-operative course during our time in Can Tho, Vietnam.

I grew up in Fresno, California and attended the University of California, Los Angeles where I completed my undergraduate education with a Bachelor’s degree in psychobiology. I pursued my doctorate in Podiatric Medicine in 2011 and graduated with a merit-based scholarship from the Temple University School of Podiatric Medicine in 2015.

I am currently a third year podiatric surgical resident at the Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Healthcare System. Our surgical training focuses on limb salvage, sports medicine, forefoot and rearfoot reconstructive surgery.

Comments