IEP Countdown to Vietnam: Chau Papatheodorou

I’m Chau Papatheodorou. I am a sales manager for a high-tech company in Silicon Valley. I was born and raised in Vietnam. In early 1975, my family and I migrated to the US when I was a young teenager. Two years ago in 2017, I joined the IEP team and made my first trip to back to VN for the first time since I'd left.

I have done some small volunteering jobs around the Bay Area with the Harvest Foodbank, cooking and serving breakfast for various organizations like the Veterans at the American Legion of Santa Clara as well as the Edgewood Center which helps abused, neglected, and traumatized children. Being part of the IEP team, however, was one of the most rewarding experience for me, personally, by far.

I was a patient of Dr. Lehnert when I heard about his medical missions to Vietnam. I learned how he had founded the IEP team and the cause for the missions. I was very moved by the stories and the videos that captured their work on the IEP website.

There were many heartwarming stories that showcased on the website. However, one story that struck me was about a disabled teenager who was wheelchair-bound most of his life and had to be carried by his mother, who was the same size as he, onto the examining bed. The IEP team operated on his feet in 2010. In 2015, five years after his operation, he was able to walk and play soccer. This story touched me to my core and that was the reason why I wanted to be a part of this team.

Without any formal medical training, my contribution to the IEP team has been limited to translation and comfort care. My work in 2017 involved translating the pre- and post-op care instructions for patients and their families. I also provide comfort care for patients during pre- and post-op as well.

A lot of the young patients who were waiting for their operations did not know what to expect. They were scared, nervous, and full of anxiety. Pre-operation comfort care includes easing and minimizing their fears by explaining the operation’s procedures. This sometimes involves interactions like gently holding the patients' hands, rubbing their feet, or hugging and wiping their tears. I also tried to distract them with small toys and funny stories to cheer them up.

Post-op care involves visiting our patients at their hospital beds. I tagged along with our physicians and nurses to check on patients. I translated questions from patients and their families to doctors and visa versa. The most rewarding moments for me are seeing the smiles of pure happiness on the faces of our patients and their families when we stop by at the end of each day as they are healing. Their smiles extended to bliss when they saw the toys we brought and the chocolates as theirs to enjoy. In addition, our patients also received medication, post-op shoes, and/or crutches as needed.

During my first trip, the work schedule was quite rigorous. My day started at 5:30 am and ended between 5 to 7 pm with a break for lunch in between. During this 12+ hours shift, I worked side-by-side with the amazing IEP individuals who support not only the patients but each other as well. If anyone of us had a headache or a sore back, there were always someone ready to help ease the tenseness with head massages or shoulder rubs. When one spends 12+ hours shifts for 10 solid days sharing meals, telling each other stories about ourselves, our families, our lives back home -- this creates a priceless human bond. 

Being a part of the IEP volunteering team is like having a second family for me. Jenni was right when she wrote: “….once you go and see how you can help to change a life you get hooked…” I am glad to admit I am hooked!

I'm looking forward to my second trip to VN with my IEP family to serve the less fortunate that is filled with heart-warming and rewarding hard work. Thank you Dr. Lehnert, Jenni, Henry, Jeff, and the rest of the team for allowing me to participate in this cause.

Comments