Day 5: Ponce Gonzalez

One of the schools we visited was for "special students," or the best in the Mekong region. They spoke English very well and asked some tough questions. These kids are the generation that will make things happen.

We had a chance to share our story about helping the Vietnamese people by showing them a PhotoJam video about Mission Peace. This short video had pictures of the doctors and others doing their jobs of healing and showing them that even a few people can make a difference.

Today, we moved a little closer to that difference. This student (Hikki N) was the most vocal of the group. She reminded me of my daughters and I told her that she was my daughter in Vietnam. As you will see in her e-mail to me she has incredible insight for an 18-year-old kid.

Was my trip worth it? Yes it was . . .

Hikki N wrote:
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:43:46 +0000 (GMT)
Subject: hey! it's me!
Hi Ponce Gonzalez!
Your daughter in Vietnam is here! So can you recognize me now? The first time you have come to Vietnam you put your first foot on the land of the Vietnamese with the feeling of confusion, but then you feeling has changed to much better, is it right? I'm quite sure that most Vietnamese are very friendly and hospitable. We now learn to forget our "yesterday" filled of great pain of loss in the war. We are now trying to build a better "tomorrow" where there are people holding hands and making this world as small as it is in your hand. My grandfather also died in a bombing by Americans, so my dad was an orphan when he was just 8 years old. He used to suffer from many difficulties. It's my great loss not to have a grandfather.
But time has erased the pain and it is okie now for all of us to hold hands in order to make a happy world with no revenge. You can close the door of your history from now on. Be happy and have good sleep every night!
Love,
Vo Hoan Nguyen

Comments